Hi! This week has been a busy one. I did manage to squeeze in some sewing here and there. Just quick little projects done by hand. I’ve seen dozens of little baby shoes all over blogland, many of them on Etsy. The work that has gone into some of them is mind boggling. They are too pretty or cute to put on the baby! I’d be afraid that as soon as I put them on, the munchkin would throw up on them, or something equally revolting. Non-the-less, I would love to have a dozen beautiful little pairs for my soon to be granddaughter. Yes, that’s right, a GIRL!! We are all so excited. I have been dreaming up the dresses and things I can sew for her ever since we found out. The hard part is, Taylor doesn’t want to know the sex of the baby! I must confess that knowing the sex of the baby before my son does feels odd. There has been much shh-ing going on and hiding of little clothing and bedding, in case Taylor happens to come in. I don’t know how we are going to manage setting up a nursery (including painting) without him getting an inkling that the baby is a sweet little girl. We will have to banish him from the room entirely. Now, what was I talking about? Aha! You don’t remember either! BABY SHOES! As I was saying before I rudely interrupted myself, I have seen so many little pairs of beautiful baby shoes that I had to try my hand at making some.
I used Simplicity #2867 view B for both pairs.
This is a very simple pattern, with only three pattern pieces.
The pattern suggests wool felt or wool felt blends. Since I didn’t have anything remotely close to that, I used two beading mats. I have no idea what it is, but it washed well by hand, and is very soft. Plus the colours are pretty! If anyone can tell me what it is, I’ll be grateful. When you look closely, it looks like a layer of foam between two pieces of some unknown fibre.
The best part, it is only .33cents a piece at Fabricland! One sheet makes one pair of shoes. You can’t beat that. I sewed them together by hand, using embroidery thread to do a blanket stitch. While sewing the first pair (the pink ones) it was glaringly obvious that I have to brush up on my blanket stitch. It is not as easy to keep neat as you would expect. But I forged ahead and finished them. Because it was late in the evening by that time, I just embellished them with fabric yoyos. I think they are cute.
I made the mauve pair the next night. My stitching is somewhat better, but I’ll keep practicing. I haven’t embellished them yet. I’m waiting for a flash of inspiration to hit me.
This afternoon I started an outfit for the baby. I intend to give it to Rachel at her baby shower next weekend. I’ll give you just a glimpse of what I’ve done so far.
Ruffle Bum knickers!
Unfortunately they don’t look as nice as they do in person. The camera sort of washes out the colour. I will be making a dress and bonnet to match, and I’ll post them as soon as I can.
Have a great Monday, and happy sewing!
Please check my party page to see where I am today!